Saturday, February 22, 2014

Group 3 Communications

32 comments:

  1. Afternoon Heather,
    Just wanted to check in with you. I would like to get started asap since we only have less than a week to complete the assignment. I will start researching a description of adult learning theories. Since the presentation has to be ten slides I thought we could each do 5, if that works for you. Any changes or suggestions are welcome, Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather,
    Checking in again, I really need to get in touch with you. This assignment is due next Tuesday. I am doing some research on the learning theories and will begin the PowerPoint. Really need to get some response from you, thanks, Frankie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather I wrote another comment from my phone this morning but it did not save. I have finished five of the slides and am working on the other five. I will send each slide comments tomorrow morning and we can collaborate on them.

    Are you out of the country?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to inconvenience you like this, Frankie! I am a hopeless procrastinator! I just sent you a message through Facebook but then realized that the only communication allowed is through here. If you are still working on the presentation, I would love the chance to collaborate with you and do my share. I do have the bad habit of doing things at the last minute, but I assure that the work is always top notch!

    And, yes, Frankie, I am out of the country. I live in Spain. :)

    Which 5 slides did you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, bet Spain is pretty!
      I have done the first four of the slides and the reference slide at the end. I have picked out as close to a mosaic design for the slides as I could since they refer to andragogy as a mosaic of many different theories, philosophies, and principles. The first has the definition of andragogy, the second slide has a quick history timeline of andragogy, and the next two has the first two of the five ideas from Knowles writings about andragogy. We need a slide on the other three which will make nine slides. Then we could have a conclusion slide summarizing the ideas about andragogy. There is so much information that we need to sift and get the best for the slides. Glad to have you aboard.

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for your quick reply! I'll get to work on the remaining three slides of content and draft something for you to look over for the conclusion as well!

    Did you use a background photo for the PowerPoint slide? I like your idea of selecting a mosaic design to reflect the multifaceted nature of andragogy and I wonder if you might be interested in using one of my photos for the background. I'm a professional photographer and have some lovely shots of the Alhambra in Granada and the Plaza de España in Sevilla. I don't see an easy option here for transferring files, but I assume we could use the blog as a venue to pass DropBox links for file sharing. We could also use that to pass the PowerPoint back and forth.

    Ok, so here is my DropBox link.

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kag8p9q016wy7cx/RpNYJYXujY

    Please look at the photos and let me know if you'd like to use one of them (a washed-out version, of course) as the background. Take special notice of IMG_7575. I didn't really include it as an option for the background; I just wanted to share the mosaic from the Plaza de España that represents the province where I live, Malaga. Pretty, isn't it?

    Thanks again, Frankie, for the warm welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, a question for you. If I understand correctly, only one person submits an actual document for this assignment. Plus, what I've read on the FB group suggests that we can't share the actual file. If that is the case, since you have already completed five slides, could you paste your content (text) here so that I can follow the same format and style you've set? Then I could post back my contribution for the remaining principles and you could paste it into the document that I assume you've already created. Do that sound like an acceptable plan?

    I still think that sharing the photos via DropBox is playing by the rules as it isn't technically a form of communication. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about DropBox but I did see your photos and liked them. I will try to use them, thanks. I will be happy to send the PPT slides to you but I don't know if we are supposed by DropBox. At this point it may be ok. I will be happy to submit the final PPT version. I will also need your references to put on the last page :-). I will be getting touch with you before noon US time.

      Delete
  7. I have placed the first photo you sent into the background and it is very nice, thanks. I believe the PPT will look nice. I will send a draft to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I have the PPT ready for you to see, here goes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z0rrdn90p22b7m/SmithScottPPT2014.pptx

    I need to hear back from you by say 3:00 US time so I can turn the finished file in but if you have a problem I will certainly work with you more. Thanks, Frankie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Frankie! Ok, I've downloaded the PPT and looked over what you've done so far. I love it! The style is sharp and clean and I especially love the photo! It's one of my very favorites. It's of one of the interior patios of the Alhambra.

    I will try to have my part finished before 3pm US time, but if it looks like it might take longer, I will at least give you a warning.

    Perhaps this is silly question, but... where are you getting your reference material? The audio/video components of the assignment PDFs never function for me so if it's not written in text, then there might be something that I'm missing. I was referencing information I found through the Internet. For instance, like the information found at the following addresses.

    http://elearningindustry.com/the-adult-learning-theory-andragogy-of-malcolm-knowles

    http://elearningindustry.com/8-important-characteristics-of-adult-learners

    http://elearningindustry.com/17-tips-to-motivate-adult-learners

    http://www.qotfc.edu.au/resource/?page=65375

    http://web.cortland.edu/frieda/id/IDtheories/42.html

    http://infed.org/mobi/malcolm-knowles-informal-adult-education-self-direction-and-andragogy/



    *** That last link is definitely one of the more interesting and personal treatments of the man and his contributions. In particular, I was really touched by the anecdote about the father. See below...

    Born in 1913 and initially raised in Montana, Malcolm S. Knowles appears to have had a reasonably happy childhood. His father was a veterinarian and from around the age of four Knowles often accompanied him on his visits to farms and ranches.

    "While driving to and from these locations, we engaged in serious discussions about all sorts of subjects, such as the meaning of life, right and wrong, religion, politics, success, happiness and everything a growing child is curious about. I distinctly remember feeling like a companion rather than an inferior. My father often asked what I thought about before he said what he thought, and gave me the feeling that he respected my mind." (Knowles 1989: 2)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I liked the story about Knowles too, adds a little human to the idea of research.
    My references came from the AUM library research page. We need to keep our references peer reviewed and more reputable than just an Internet search, Dr. Lewis wants this. So just to be sure here are the last three of the characteristics of adult learning: 3. Has learning needs closely related to changing social roles. 4. Is problem centered and interested in immediate application of knowledge, and finally 5. Is motivated to learn by internal rather than external factors. Thanks for the work, I will rap this up with your slide information and turn it in asap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found another reference that is full of great information to use in our PPT. I also gave you credit for you beautiful picture in the PPT. We need to have two graphics so your photo could be one but I thought I would create a nice graphic using the various assumptions, principles, the four theories of learning associated with andragogy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I worked as a graphic designer for a few years. Perhaps I could throw something together for a final graphic slide. Did you have any ideas for how we could visually represent the ideas? Internet searches for images depicting adults in learning opportunities with text and graphic overlays? Or something more like this... http://www.knewton.com/flipped-classroom/

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you'd like to do a graphic, then perhaps we could split the duties 50/50 text-wise and I could take charge of designing it. After all, you've already taken care of the presentation design. I'd be happy to have a go at this! I know I wouldn't be able to have a graphic ready in the next hour though. I can send you the PPT via DropBox so that you can look over my contributions, but then if it's getting too late, I would be happy to submit the document so that you don't have to stay up. I don't want you suffering the price of the procrastination! ;)

    Ok... manos a la obra! A trabajar! (Ok.. getting to it... work!)
    Touch back in a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. More like just a simple flow chart showing a simple connection of all the different parts of andragogy. The infographic like the one on the web page is long and complicated. We want simple and to the point, just a flow of information. Just maybe the five assumptions then the principles and then learning theories connected by arrows and boxes. But, you do what you want, really, this is "our" project, :-).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great, I will check with you later. I will set up the last slides so they match the others in appearance. I would like to turn this in about say 6:00 US time? Will that work for you? I did make a couple of changes in the PPT format, it looks better. Check it out: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z0rrdn90p22b7m/SmithScottPPT2014.pptx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've uploaded the PPT with my contributions. Here's the link...

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/clvajmtl5odw02d/SmithScottPPT2014.pptx

    I'm noticing that you've made some changes already. For instance, I didn't title each slide with Assumption #. I can go back and add it if you want. I did make a few cosmetic changes, basically extending the text box to stretch across the whole frame to wrap around the little photo at the bottom.

    Would you please glance at the slide referring to social roles and tell me what you think? I only have two bullets there but I'm a little stuck for what else to say about how our social roles affect us as adult learners.

    So... what do you think, partner? :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking good, I will shape it up a little and send you back the final version. I did not see a graphic? Maybe I missed it. But we are almost there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yea - and we are one slide short so I am working a definition slide. It is looking so good, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK, here is the link to the finished PPT without the graphic. Take a look and let me know what you think.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z0rrdn90p22b7m/SmithScottPPT2014.pptx

    ReplyDelete
  20. How is it going? Are we about finished? Just checking....

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think it looks great!
    Ok, here is the link to the PPT with the graphic. What do you think?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/72a6lw0tsvo5t4k/SmithScottPPT2014%281%29.pptx

    ReplyDelete
  22. give me just a sec... I've seen a couple grammar mistakes. Let me fix them and upload again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like it. I only have a problem, when I open the file from DropBox I only get a PDF and cannot just copy the graphic and paste it into the PPT. So I will use paint and take a screen shot of it - I hope it does not hurt the integrity of the picture. I am waiting for you to fix the errors and then I will finish and submit, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, I corrected the few mistakes I saw. Learners needed to be learners' on one slide. Plus, I pulled the text box on the first two assumptions to reach the edge of the line divider. I also made a couple of corrections on the references page. I think that should be it, no? How does it look to you?

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/72a6lw0tsvo5t4k/SmithScottPPT2014%281%29.pptx

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's strange, you should be able to download the PPT. Give it another shot, ok? I downloaded the first PPT you sent me and I clicked the wrong button and downloaded a PDF instead. I went back and looked at the very top right of the browser window and clicked the blue download button. Does that fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. How's it going, Frankie? Did you get the PPT to download? Are you as satisfied with the presentation as I am?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yep, got it and turning it in. I could not find a link to post it in Blackboard so I will have to send it to Dr. Lewis by Blackboard email and it has to be put in PDF format. Thanks for working with me, I think we did a good job. Have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great! It was a pleasure working with you, Frankie!

    ReplyDelete