Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Group 7 Communications

14 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda,
    I am so sorry for contacting you so late. I just wrote a long blog to you and it literally disappeared before my very eyes. Sometimes, I hate this mouse I am using, when I move it around, every now and then it will remove anything I have typed, and I have to start all over again.

    I apologize for just now blogging you. This past week it has been hectic at school (I teach at Foley High). I did not get a planning period this whole week. I had parent conferences, meetings, I had to babysit other classrooms, it has been stressful. I have had to come home and do all my high school prep and grading papers, calling parents, etc. to the point that I was too tired to do much college work. (I miss teaching at the college level).

    Anyway, these are not excuses, this is just letting you know I have been remiss in my duties as a college student and as your partner in group 7 and am acknowledging this. I felt horrible when I opened the assignment just this morning, to find out it is due on Tuesday.

    I have 4 days off (our school district gives Mon & Tues off for Mardi Gras). I will cancel our plans for today and tomorrow and work on this with you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. I do not check my gmail account, it probably has over 500 emails. I am not sure how this blog works, will it make a sound to let me know you have responded?

    I have AUM emails forwarded to my bcbe.org account, and I can hear when I am getting an email from someone. I don't think we are allowed to email, it can only be through this medium.
    Again, so sorry for the late communication.
    Best,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, I noticed on FB that you will be out and about with your daughter's parade today. perhaps this will give me today to go out and breathe some sunshine and do some things with my husband? I will try and copy and paste this on my smartphone and see your reply. I have no idea how long we will be out and about, he was hoping we would spend the whole day out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda,
    Decided to get up and start going over a few things. I found an article regarding andragogy from a previous course. I also found a table regarding Knowles' principles on andragogy. I am not sure how to upload the article and table in this blog, unless I have to go to the home page and upload it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, this article (could only copy and paste) defines andragogy. You are only allowed to publish at most 4,096 characters, so I could only copy and paste the intro. Will find the article via AUM library and send it. I will copy and paste the table I was referring to, and we can use it for our powerpoint if you would like.

    It’s Called Andragogy
    STEPHEN PAUL FORREST III
    Hertford College, University of Oxford
    TIM O. PETERSON
    Texas A&M University
    Despite radical changes in teaching assumptions, management educators have continued
    to use the archaic term pedagogy to describe their work. The word pedagogy refers
    specifically to children and assumptions for teaching children. Thus, pedagogy does not
    encompass the needs of adults common in management classrooms today. To ensure
    congruence with the emerging management teaching methods, we advocate adoption of
    the term andragogy. Such a word focuses on the adult learner and creation of an
    independent, adaptable individual. Underpinning andragogy are four assumptions
    regarding learning: a self-directing self-concept; use of experience; a readiness to learn;
    and a performance-centered orientation to learning. Management educators already use
    techniques that take advantage of these andragogical assumptions. Adoption of the term
    andragogy would align the philosophy of management educators with the current
    dynamic instructional strategies already in use.
    ------
    He has published in Performance
    Improvement Quarterly,
    Journal of Leadership
    Studies, Journal of Management
    Education, and Journal
    of Management Systems.
    122 Academy of Management Learning & Education March

    ReplyDelete
  5. Log into AUM Library remotely, and type in the search box "It's called Andragogy" and it will pop up rather quickly.
    There is another article through ERIC (Eric number is ED492652), only 8 pages:
    Andragogy and Motivation: An Examination of the Principles of Andragogy through Two Motivation Theories
    Houde, Joseph
    --------------
    Knowles' Principles of Andragogy, this is a website from a university in Australia, but it's reliable.
    http://www.qotfc.edu.au/resource/?page=65375

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to overwhelm you, but wanted to get the materials together so we can pick and choose how we want to do the PPT. This is from Columbia University's website, it's a pdf and it has some key points we can use for the PPT:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=14&cad=rja&ved=0CIUBEBYwDQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cumc.columbia.edu%2Fdept%2Fmedicine%2Fhospitalists%2Fdownloads%2Fcc4_articles%2FEducation%2520Theory%2FAndragogy.pdf&ei=jioTU9_nLMOgkAfxrYD4BA&usg=AFQjCNGBCEfRC06iMm1MdIQ3IKr98UEPwA&sig2=Xe1WJsiFahSFSFDBfKyFSg&bvm=bv.62286460,d.eW0

    ReplyDelete
  7. YouTube has so many short videos from professors' lectures/ppt presentations that will also help us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This mouse is about to drive me crazy. I just typed the list of Malcome Knowles' Principles (or assumptions) of Andragogy and it did not publish it! So, here's my attempt a second time. This would be a good PPT presentation to use, to include who he was and how things may be similar today since the 80's when he came up with this:
    SELF-CONCEPT: Adults have a self-directing personality
    EXPERIENCE: They bring life experience and knowledge to the classroom
    READINESS TO LEARN: They are "relevancy-oriented"--they must see a reason to learn something and are ready to learn
    ORIENTATION TO LEARNING: They want to apply their new knowledge immediately
    THE NEED TO KNOW: Adults want to know WHY
    MOTIVATION TO LEARN: They are internally motivated

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another good article regarding Adult learning theory for the 21st century. Can be found via AUM library:
    Something old, something new: adult learning theory for the 21st century by Sharan Merriam

    I think this is plenty of research for our PPT, we just have to go through the articles, highlight what we want to include and then put it all together. What do you think? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brenda, after reviewing the requirements for this project, and not being able to send files, I think the best way to handle this is to describe to each other --in detail--how we want to design the PPT, such as choosing a template (i.e. Orbit--only an example), describing the graphics that we will use in the ppt (we have to have 2 minimum), who will create the ppt, (obviously only 1 of us can actually do the design since we cannot send it back and forth to each other) BUT we can blog back and forth what each page of PPT will look like, including the text. Am I making any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brenda,
    I know there is a lot of blog messages I have created. I am going to do one more and then give you time to absorb the ridiculousness of me. I am just putting out ideas for you to consider and get your thoughts and input. So, here's my ideas, and we can go with it, adjust it, delete things, etc. I will check for blog messages in a couple of hours, to give you time to digest all of this.
    (1) We should look at our PPT program and choose a design/template. I use a Mac, and the PPT program is 2013
    (2) How do we want the title page to look like? With a catchy title and a picture of adult learners of varying ages?
    (3) Slides of PPT, I wouldn't include the title page as the 1st of 10 slides, even though we get 2 points for it
    (4) Slide page 1: definition of "adult learning"
    (5) Slide page 2: there are 2 main theories of adult learning: andragogy, self-directed and transformational learning
    (6) slide page 3: definition of andragogy with main points
    (7) slide page 4: self-directed learning theory definition with main points [I have not looked this theory up]
    (8) slide page 5: transformational learning theory definition with main points [I have not looked this up]
    (9) slide page 6: Other new 21st Century adult learning theories: Informal & Incidental learning, context-based learning, and situated-cognition theory [I have not looked these up either]
    (10) slide page 7: informal & incidental learning definition and example
    (11) slide page 8: context-based learning theory definition and example
    (12) slide page 9: situated cognition theory definition and example
    These are all new but blended in from older theories, they are updated versions of something theorized from before
    (13) slide page 10: reference page
    Note: most likely we will need an extra slide to discuss andragogy theory and Knowles' principles of andragogy
    (14) What graphics to use and which slides to use them in?
    (15) I learned from Dr. Chikatla last semester that PPT presentations need to contain brief bullets, without a lot of writing on the slides

    Ok, so this is as far as I will go and wait to hear from you. I have read the articles I have sent you to review via AUM library. I have watched a few youtube videos on andragogy. I will give you some time, a couple of hours, to review all of this and I will check back to read your replies. Thanks for your patience with me ahead of time. I can be so OCD about things, and I try to tone myself down, Dr Lewis says I can't keep using the excuse about being OLD...haha, but I AM! I am probably the oldest person in the class at 55! Jen
    (3)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer, I want to apologize for not replying to your blog and the class assignment. My computer was being updated and I had to take it to Auburn where it stayed for a while. I had everything on the hard drive. When I got back I could not find anything. but with the help of IT I have gotten everything back and I am ready to play catch up. You have done a lot of work. I am not one that does not do there part in an assignment.
    I usually work during the day on assignments during the nights I do programs for my work. But I have tried to slow down so I can work on school assignments. Also I give most of my weekend when I have to catch up.
    You have organized the PPT very well. I will catch up and do the slides. I don't see where you can add images to this blog.

    Again I am sorry for not getting in contact before now. I see that the assignment is still open and Dr. Lewis wanted to have virtual conference with us soon.
    I use a PC and we have updated to windows 7. I am trying to embrace the changes! I will be back on Thursday to check on a time when we can blog in real
    time.
    Again I am so very sorry that I seem not to be a reliable partner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have notice that the other groups haven't gotten as far as you. Did you go ahead and submit the assignment without me? From what I see there are others that had issues. Again I am not a slacker I have always done the assignments. This semester seems to be off for everyone.

    ReplyDelete